N71, Bantry, Co. Cork
+353 (0)27 50047
Bantry House is not only one of the finest historic houses in Ireland but it also commands one of the best views overlooking Bantry Bay in West Cork. It has been open to the public since 1946, the first to be so in the country and possibly also in the British Isles. The house is still owned and lived in by Egerton Shelswell-White, who is a direct descendant of Richard White (1, Earl of Bantry), and his family.
The Quay, Bantry, Co. Cork
+353 (0)27 54700
The stylish Maritime Hotel is set on Bantry Bay amid the three rugged peninsulas of Mizen Head, Sheep’s Head and Beara.
Have a wonderful meal in The Maritime Bar or The Ocean Restaurant, unwind in Club Maritime Leisure Centre, indulge in treatment in one of our YouTime Spa Treatment rooms, or take a dip in our 19 metre swimming pool.
St Brendan's School, Wolfe Tone Square, Bantry, Co. Cork
+353 (0)27 54700
St. Brendan's National School was given its present name in October 1999. Until then the school was known as Bantry No. 3 N.S. On the 3rd of October 1999 The Right Reverend W. Paul Colton, the Church of Ireland Bishop of Cork, Cloyne and Ross, rededicated the Parish Church in Bantry to St. Brendan the Navigator. The school was renamed on the same day and took the name of the Saint as its own. Much better that No. 3 I'm sure you'll agree! The school itself was built in 1853 at the expense of Richard White, Earl of Bantry. It opened as a school on 29th January 1855 and opened as a National School on 1st May 1871. The Parochial Hall was added in 1938. The school was a one-teacher school for many years, until the construction of the Gulf Oil Terminal on Whiddy Island, in Bantry Bay, when a temporary assistant was appointed in 1967. The school reverted to its one-teacher status in 1971. Since 1974 it has been a two-teacher school. Until recently the school was vested in local trustees and the patron was Egerton Shelswell-White of Bantry House. The school is now under the patronage of The Right Reverend W. Paul Colton.
Wolfe Tone Square, Bantry, Co. Cork
This beautiful old church was built in 1818, and is Church of Ireland. It was designed by Henry Edward Kendall, and is gothic style. It's situated in the centre of town, just off Wolfe Tone Square. Bantry claims an ancient connection with St Brendan, who was the first person to discover America.
7 New Street, Bantry, Co Cork, Ireland
+353 (0)27 50242
A friendly bar with an old fashioned feel. Outdoor seating.
13 Glengarriff Road, Bantry, Co. Cork
+353 (0)27 52788
Our Festival office. The West Cork Chamber Music Festival, West Cork Literary Festival and Masters of Tradition are run from these offices.
Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 10am - 5pm. Note we are also open every day during the festivals, including weekends.
Kinsale Rd, Cork, T12 P5NF
+353 21 431 3131
Cork Airport is the second-largest of the three principal international airports in the Republic of Ireland, after Dublin and ahead of Shannon. It is located 6.5 km south of Cork city in an area known as Farmers Cross.
Leaves from Bantry pier, in Bantry Marina, just up from the Maritime Hotel
086 862 6734
The Whiddy Island Ferry, Ocean Star 3, is licensed by the Dept. of the Marine and fully insured to take passengers to and from the island.
The short trip from Bantry pier takes approximately 10-15 minutes. You'll find the regular schedule on their webpages. And any of our events involving a ferry journey, will detail the relevant ferry time(s).
Whiddy Island, Bantry, Co Cork
Truly an island paradise – Whiddy is a small haven of peace and tranquillity.
A small island, approximately 3 miles long x 1.5 miles wide & nestling in the sheltered heart of Bantry Bay, off the coast of West Cork, Ireland. Its inhabitants, mostly devoted to fishing and farming, are warm natured people who welcome both day-trippers and holiday makers alike.
Ferry information is here: http://whiddyferry.com/ferry-to-whiddy-island/
The Old Courthouse, The Square, Bantry, Co. Cork
Welcome to Bantry, a lovely little harbour town in West Cork and on the Wild Atlantic Way. What we lack in size, we make up for in terms of history, landscape, flora and fauna. Bantry has a long history with some of the first references to it in the seminal Annals of the Four Masters.
Bantry Development and Tourism Association is run entirely by friendly volunteers who can help you find out anything you need to know about our fabtastic town and surrounds.
Overlooking Bantry Bay in the heart of West Cork, Bantry is a thriving market town situated at the head of Bantry Bay and surrounded by some of Ireland's most stunning country side with drives and walks that will take your breath away.With a fine raised plaza in its main square over-looking the harbour the town has a wide variety of shops, bars, coffee shops and restaurants in addition to a three screen cinema, tourist office, museum and library. The town is also host to the Friday market which sees a wide variety of market stalls selling West Cork’s finest local foods, antiques, art, crafts and livestock.
The majestic Bantry House, home since 1739 to the White family, the former Earl of Bantry, overlooks the harbour with its beautiful gardens reaching down towards the shore where one can enjoy the spectacular views of the Caha Mountains across the bay.As with many areas on Ireland's south-west coast, Bantry claims an ancient connection to the sixth century saint, Breandán (Naomh Bréanainn) the Navigator. In Irish lore Saint Breandán was the first person to discover America.The town is an important economic centre to the region. Apart from tourism, fishing is one of the main industries. Mussels in particular are harvested in the area. As one of the larger towns in West Cork with a population of about 4000 people and a catchment area of about 12000 people, it is a busy community with plenty going on all year round. Bantry is also host to the West Cork Chamber Music Festival, West Cork Literary Festival, Masters of Tradition, Bay Run Half Marathon, and Bantry BBQ Festival.