A recording studio and concert hall, it was built in 1952 specifically for radio and studio use. The introduction of low-noise, high-quality ultrasonic short-wave VHF in 1949 posed new challenges for studio buildings. An almost revolutionary construction method was therefore tested and successfully introduced at the Sendesaal: the hall is built completely room-in-room, ceilings and walls of the interior are supported by 655 springs of the outer shell, which means that the interior is optimally insulated against external noise. This fact, combined with the excellent acoustics, has turned the broadcasting hall into a treasure that is now also a listed building.
For 55 years it was one of Radio Bremen’s main music studios. Historically important recordings and concerts were held there by John Cage, Alfred Brendel, Keith Jarrett and Nikolaus Harnoncourt to name a few. When Radio Bremen moved to a new building in 2007, the old hall was sold for next to nothing. The Citizens' Initiative Association Friends of the Broadcast Hall, which includes all former music directors of Radio Bremen, fought the impending demolition and ultimately led to success. This group has been operating the broadcasting hall since 2009.
PianoForte is a recording studio, concert hall and specialised piano boutique in Chicago. Its studio is used to record solo classical, chamber ensemble, smaller jazz groups and singer/songwriter acts and is equipped to record up to 24 channels of reference quality audio either live in concert or in a closed studio session.
Zwanenplein 34, 1021 CM Amsterdam, Netherlands
Studio 150 is a small concert hall and recording studio in Amsterdam.
5 Rue des Irlandais, 75005 Paris, France
Located in the historic building of the Irish College, in the heart of the Latin quarter of Paris, the Centre Culturel Irlandais is Ireland’s flagship cultural centre in Europe. The Centre presents the work of contemporary Irish artists, reinforces the rich heritage of Franco-Irish relations and fosters a vibrant and creative resident community. In addition to its diverse cultural programme, the CCI houses France’s primary multi-media library of resources on Ireland as well as significant historic archives and an Old Library. The Fondation Irlandaise has overseen the building since the Consular Decree of Napoléon Bonaparte consolidated the former Irish, English and Scots foundations and colleges in Paris into the Collège des Irlandais.
In1769, the prefect of the Irish collegiate community in Paris, Laurence Kelly, acquired a town house on the rue du Cheval Vert and transferred ownership of the building to the community of students. The prominent architect François Joseph Bélanger oversaw the demolition of part of the existing town house to make way for an imposing college building - a fifteen bay, four-storey structure with two wings on the garden front. It opened as the Collège des Irlandais in 1775. After the tumultuous period of the Revolution, the College was reopened under the auspices of the Fondation Irlandaise and the superior, Jean-Baptiste Walsh, persuaded Napoleon to change the name of the road to rue des Irlandais by a prefectural decree of 1807. In a state of disrepair by the end of the twentieth century, the Irish government funded the complete restoration of the building in order to launch the Centre Culturel Irlandais in 2002.
Two of the Virtual Chamber Music Festival’s concerts were recently recorded in the Chapel at the Irish College. Dedicated to St. Patrick, the chapel was built for the religious needs of the collegial community – the pews are thus facing each other rather than towards the altar. The original paintwork was replaced c. 1860 with the highly decorative interior that has survived up to the present day.
In a vaulted room above the Chapel, is the Old Library. It was the working library of the community of lay students and seminarians. A treasure from the manuscripts collection of Ireland, the Great Book of Lecan, written between 1390 and 1418, was brought to the College for safe-keeping; it remained there for most of the 18th century before being returned safely to the Royal Irish Academy in Dublin in 1787. The original library collection of the Collège des Irlandais was entirely lost during the Revolution. Its current collection of nearly 8,000 items, of which almost half date from the 15th to the 18th centuries, largely consists of books and manuscripts from suppressed religious establishments, inherited or bought in literary depots after the Revolution, and works of Irish interest acquired in the 19th century.
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St, Centre, Cork
This auditorium is a beautifully restored 1700’s Neo-classical Georgian Church and is part of the Triskel Art Centre in Cork city. This former Church of Ireland building was deconsecrated in 1979 and subsequently purchased by Cork City Council. The building was home to Cork City Archives until 2005 when they were relocated to Blackpool. Cork City Council and Triskel Arts Centre went on to develop Christchurch as a state of the art cultural venue for Cork City Centre which opened in 2011. The former church is now merged with Triskel Arts Centre and programmed by Triskel with a busy line up of live music, cultural cinema, visual art and literary events.
Trinity Church Square, London SE1 4HU, UK
Located just off London’s Borough Hill Street and set in the beautiful conservation area of Trinity Church Square in Southwark, Henry Wood Hall is the city’s premier rehearsal and recording venue. It is large enough for a full symphony orchestra and choir yet intimate enough for a single soloist. In constant use for more than thirty years, it was formerly the Holy Trinity Church.
In 1970, the London Philharmonic and London Symphony Orchestras carried out an assessment of various churches in London with the intention of creating a new permanent orchestral rehearsal studio in the capital. Their research into disused churches identified the Holy Trinity Church in Southwark, which was subsequently opened in 1975.
The hall was named after Sir Henry Wood, the conductor best known for his association with the Proms, after receiving a substantial donation from the Henry Wood Fund ( set up to rebuild the blitzed Queen’s Hall).
Visiting orchestras include the St Petersburg Philharmonic and Japan Philharmonic, both of which have recorded and rehearsed in the venue.
11 Listopada 50, 40-387 Katowice, Pruszków, Warsaw, Poland
The study and protection of western Mazovia’s prehistoric heritage is the main focus of the Museum of Metallurgy, Pruszków, Warsaw. The museum was opened in 1975 in the wake of one of the most significant postwar developments in Polish archaeology - the discovery of the remains of one of the largest centres of iron metallurgy of the barbarian world from the turn of the 1st millennium. The museum is in the centre of approximately 240 archaeological sites spread across 300 km² in western Mazovia which document the mass production of iron by the people of the Przeworsk culture of the younger Pre-Roman period and the Roman period ( 2nd c. BC – AD 4th century.
The museum is housed within a historic building in the grounds of the Potulicki family country estate . Concerts are held in the Orangery and are organised within thematic cycles corresponding to the four seasons. An antique piano, manufactured in 1830 by Carl Julius Gebauhr, a contemporary of Chopin, takes pride of place in the museum.
The international nature of the Festival and Culture Night this year has enabled it to bring together forty Festival musicians in performances filmed in venues in Chicago, St Paul and Cork, Amsterdam and London, Paris and Warsaw, Bremen and Bloomington.
Map provided by google maps.
Overlooking Bantry Bay in the heart of West Cork, Bantry is a thriving market town situated at the head of Bantry Bay and surrounded by some of Ireland's most stunning country side with drives and walks that will take your breath away.With a fine raised plaza in its main square over-looking the harbour the town has a wide variety of shops, bars, coffee shops and restaurants in addition to a three screen cinema, tourist office, museum and library. The town is also host to the Friday market which sees a wide variety of market stalls selling West Cork’s finest local foods, antiques, art, crafts and livestock.
The majestic Bantry House, home since 1739 to the White family, the former Earl of Bantry, overlooks the harbour with its beautiful gardens reaching down towards the shore where one can enjoy the spectacular views of the Caha Mountains across the bay.As with many areas on Ireland's south-west coast, Bantry claims an ancient connection to the sixth century saint, Breandán (Naomh Bréanainn) the Navigator. In Irish lore Saint Breandán was the first person to discover America.The town is an important economic centre to the region. Apart from tourism, fishing is one of the main industries. Mussels in particular are harvested in the area. As one of the larger towns in West Cork with a population of about 4000 people and a catchment area of about 12000 people, it is a busy community with plenty going on all year round. Bantry is also host to the West Cork Chamber Music Festival, West Cork Literary Festival, Masters of Tradition, Bay Run Half Marathon, and Bantry BBQ Festival.