- West Cork Music
- IWC/WCLF Young Writer Delegates Programme 2023
We invite ambitious young writers aged 18-26 to apply for this extraordinary opportunity to attend and contribute to West Cork Literary Festival as Irish Writers Centre/West Cork Literary Festival Delegates Young Writer Delegates.
In keeping with the Irish Writers Centre’s 2022-2026 Strategy, the Young Writer Delegates Programme seeks to create new opportunities, grant access and develop networks that connect writers to each other. This programme directly correlates with the objectives of Strategy Goal 2, which is to enhance opportunities for people across all communities to explore and participate in creative writing, as well as Strategy Goal 3, which is to cultivate an engaged community of writers and strategic alliances that support our ambitions.
Now in its sixth year, the Irish Writers Centre (IWC) Young Writer Delegates Programme is intended to give young writers an opportunity to immerse themselves in a literature festival, soak up the atmosphere and to contribute to it as active participants. The selected four young writers will attend the festival events alongside an IWC facilitator and a local writer-mentor and participate in a public showcase.
During the Festival 10 – 14 July 2023
This programme is open to writers aged 18-26 living anywhere on the island of Ireland with a strong interest in writing, reading and an ambition to connect with and contribute to the Irish literary scene.
We encourage young writers from backgrounds typically underrepresented in Irish literature to apply. We particularly invite applications from Black, POC (person of colour), Traveller, Roma, LGBT+, disabled and working class writers, and those who consider themselves to be within the target groups described in the EDI statement on our website.
You will need to send:
● A short cover letter including home postal address saying clearly and concisely why you would like to be selected as a Young Writer Delegate, how you think your writing would benefit and how you think you can contribute to the festival using social media or other platforms to draw attention to the festival.
● A Curriculum Vitae (max. two A4 pages) including any written work which may have been published online or in print.
● Two differing samples of work (max. 500 words each)
Compile ALL of the above into a single attachment in Word Doc or PDF and send to email@example.com. Incorrect formatting will disqualify.
● Eligibility – Participants must be over the age of 18 and resident on the island of the Ireland for a period of not less than one year.
● Intent – the cover letter expressing the applicant’s intent and reason for taking part is key in informing our decisions. Be sure to tell us your ideas on how your presence as a delegate will add value to the festival.
● Geography – we are seeking applications from all over the island, with at least one local writer from the Bantry area to be selected.
Please note that incomplete or late applications cannot be not considered.
Wednesday 17 May 2023 at Midnight.
To read more, please visit the IWC page.
Copyright © 2023 West Cork Music. All rights reserved.
Designed and developed by Matrix Internet